The event’s unique format is intended to reduce complicated planning and logistics, and create an event that racers can easily manage. Each evening the NORRA team will offer locally inspired hospitality starting with happy hour events, and concluding with dinner. If you have always wanted to bring your family, and friends to see what NORRA is all about, or want to get your feet wet racing in Baja, this is the event for you!
Let us keep you up-to-date with race announcements. Join our contact list for all the latest news.
Click on the desired topic(s) below.
Watch this space for Rally Alerts as they are posted. If you’re not getting our notifications, be sure to log into your NORRA account and subscribe with your mobile phone number.
Pre-registration is from July 1 to July 31. There will be two payment options: Payment in full, to be collected on August 1, or half on August 1 and the balance on September 1.
Regular Registration Period
From August 1 through August 10 there will be an option to pay half up front and the rest one month later. After August 10, the entire balance is due when you register. Online registration will close on October 1, but you can still register on site on October 7.
|Driver of Record|
Crew, Friends and Family
ALL hotel reservations and accommodations necessary to compete in the rally are to be made by individual race teams at their expense. NORRA is not reponsible for the booking and pricing practices of hotels and travel agents.
Click or touch here for a list of hotels in Ensenada.
Rooms and camping are also available at Horsepower Ranch. Please contact HPR directly for reservations. (US #) +1 949 656 1088, (MX #) +52 646 151 2896
2021 NORRA 500 Refund Policy
No charge if you cancel your entry by July 31, 2021. If you cancel between August 1 and August 15, you can request a refund, less The first $500 of your entry fee. If you cancel between August 16 and September 25, you will get a NORRA credit, less $500, good for next year. No refunds or credits for cancellations after September 25. NORRA credits are not refundable.
Stella EVO III unit will be used for tracking and safety. NORRA will supply the unit, but you will need to supply the mount. Watch for an announcement with details on how to purchase it with the NORRA discount.
More schedule details to follow as we get close to rally time.
|Thu. Oct. 7||Registration / Tech / Welcome Fiesta / at Horsepower Ranch, Ensenada|
|Fri. Oct. 8||Racing, Day 1 / Finish Line Celebration|
|Sat. Oct. 9||Racing, Day 2 / Finish Line Celebration|
|Sun. Oct. 10||Awards|
Rules & Classes
The general and vehicle rules documents for 2021 are linked below. There may be minor updates forthcoming.
The vehicle rules document includes a list of all vehicle categories (classes) with detailed descriptions.
Download the 2021 Vehicle Rules v 3.27 revised March 18, 2021 (PDF)
Download the General Rules v 3.5 revised March 28, 2021 (PDF)
Maps, GPS and Road Books
Maps, mileage charges, road books and GPS files will be available for download a few days before the race at norra.com/gps. Printed road books and roll charts will be available upon request at registration.
The NORRA Technology Eras
See the Mexican 1000 rules page for more information about vehicle categories and rally rules
Medical and Liability Insurance:
Vehicle Drivers and Co-Drivers will be banded with a wristband for Medical and Liability Insurance - a policy provided by Instant Mexican Insurance. Please understand the limitations of this insurance by reading the policy. Read the Policy
- Covers accidents that happen on the course ONLY
- Does NOT cover the race vehicle or damages
- Racer on racer accidents on course are covered under same medical terms but without liability coverage
- Does NOT cover accidents that involve illegal drugs
- ONLY covers USD$5000 in medical stabilization in Mexico. It does NOT cover flights or transportation to get back to your home country.
See also the Border Crossing section for information on additional required auto insurance while not on the course.
Details about border crossing will be distributed as a Rally Alert shortly before most teams will be departing for the event. At that time, you will be able to register all vehicles crossing the border with your entry.
Plan ahead! You will need the following:
- A valid passport or passport card with an expiration date more than six months later than the date you enter Mexico. (This may take two months or longer to obtain.)
- Vaccinations. Discuss with your doctor at least two months in advance of travel. See the CDC Mexico Travel page for current U.S. recommendations.
- You will need either a visa or an FMM (tourist card). U.S. citizens need an FMM. For other countries, check with a Mexican embassy or consulate in your area. Click here to get an FMM within 30 days of travel. You complete the form online and then print it. You need to get it validated at the border if you drive into Mexico. We are trying to make arrangements for FMM validation at NORRA registration in Ensenada; see the border crossing rally alert for updates on this.
- Valid registration for each vehicle.
- Valid driver’s license for each driver. Mexico accepts licenses from your home country if they are in English or Spanish. They also accept International Driving Permits.
- Proof of Mexican auto insurance. NORRA insurance only covers liability for vehicles on the course. Vehicles driven while not on the course must to be insured by a policy from a Mexican insurance carrier, which can be purchased online from instant Mexican Insurance
- Be sure to bring some Mexican pesos. The best exchange rates are generally found in San Ysidro, California. In Mexico, check the rates at casas de cambio. If you use Mexican ATMs, you will incur high fees from both your bank and the Mexican bank.
- There are limits on carrying certain items across the border, including the number of spare tires and spare parts. Some items must be declared, such as if you bring more than $10,000 cash. Fuel in containers is not allowed. More information at the Welcome to Mexico webpage and in the upcoming NORRA border crossing Rally Alert.